August 29, 2006

The veil

I have been thinking a lot lately about veils. Something that shrouds or covers or separates.

It started with reading AW Tozer's book, "The Pursuit of God." In one chapter he talks about how in the first covenant God was accessible to the people only through elaborate rituals and requirements, and then only by one person from the whole nation, and only on one day of the year!! That high priest could go through the veil into the holy of holies to actually meet with God. Not just talk about him or learn about him or obey him. To meet with him!

And now that God has torn the veil, we all have access to the holy of holies because of the blood of Christ. He has removed the veil!

The problem is that we have veils of our own making. Our doubt and unbelief. Our unconfessed sin. Our absorbtion in the world. The wiles of the devil.

This song by Sara Groves has been going through my head a lot lately...

Hello Lord, it's me your child. I have a few things on my mind
Right now I'm faced with big decisions, and I'm wondering if you have a minute
Right now I don't hear so well and I was wondering if you could speak up
I know that you tore the veil so I could sit with you in person,
and hear what you're saying
But right now, I just can't hear you
(from "Hello Lord" -Conversations CD)

I guess I know that the veil has been torn, but I want more of my veil removed, so I can meet with God directly, in the holy of holies, in all his power and majesty.

Oh thou great Jehovah, help me to remove the veils in my own heart that I might see you. For this I live.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that song by her, she rocks. I disagree w your premise as it indicates the rules are no longer needed but the point is awesome and so true

Anonymous said...

For this I live, to seek Him and see His face. Amen