August 30, 2006

I never heard you ask me for that!

When it comes to relationships most of us men want you ladies to be very clear and specific what you want from us. It's the only thing we understand.

We don't pick up easily on all the non-verbal cues and what is going on in your head and heart and voice tone. And we don't read between the lines very well. We're not good with "clues." We're kinda like computers. We do what we're asked. No more, no less!

That may be an overgeneralization, but let me give you some examples of what doesn't work.

  • Isn't that nice how they're holding hands at such an old age?
  • I've been learning a lot in Bible study about living simply.
  • I wish you were a better Father.
  • I'm depressed.

Things that do work.

  • It's been a long time since we've held hands. Next time we're in public would you hold my hand? It would make me sooo happy!
  • God has really provided for us very well. Sometimes I think it would be great if we moved into a smaller place and gave the proceeds to Mother Terersa. Is that something we could talk about when we're on vacation next week?
  • I'm concerned that the kids aren't seeing you enough and I was wondering if you would be willing to come home early one day a week, say 4pm and spend a couple of hours with them before dinner.
  • I'm depressed because I'm so busy and never seem to have enough time to keep up with my responsibilities. Would you tell me you're proud of me for all the hard work I do? That would so help me make it through.

Come on... you can do it. Work with us. We're not all that complicated!!!! lol

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure?

Doug Doan said...

Am I sure we're not complicated? Oh I know I am... I'm talking about all the other men ;)

Anonymous said...

so true, you are solution oriented, i wouldnt use the term "complicated" or "uncomplicated" because it implies right or wrong (to someone who is complicated like me lol). I've noticed it DOES make the relationship work better when I am specific about what I want and need. Nice going!

Doug Doan said...

not too get way off track in this post with debate about my use of the word complicated... however, I just happened to be listening to Avril Lavigne and these lyrics came across my speakers from her song titled "complicated."

Why you have to go and make things so complicated?
I see the way you're acting like you're somebody else gets me frustrated
Life's like this you fall and you crawl and you break and you take what you get and you turn it into honesty
And promise me I'm never gonna find you fake it

Anonymous said...

nice, arent u too old for avril? lol. i dig it tho

Doug Doan said...

i saw her in concert when she was 14 i think... she rocks!