August 26, 2006

Surfing USA

I just came back from a time of discussion and prayer with my English brother Merv. I'd like to share some of what the Lord told him about me in our prayer time.

  • That the skills and abilities that God has given me are like a surfboard, and through dependence on the Holy Spirit I can "ride the waves." I really identified with that because I feel like my life in the Spirit is an adventure, and that the storms are not to be feared, but in some odd way enjoyed! Riding above the waves instead of being sunk in them is much to be preferred. And I like the wind in my hair, the spray on my face, and the son on my back.
  • That God has made me an equipper... to help broken birds heal, and get strong, and stay content until God opens the door of the cage and they are released to be where they really belong. I do feel strongly about helping people to be and do what they were originally created to be and do. I think I also see that sometimes God has opened the door of the cage and they need a little pushing out! lol
  • He thought that God was telling him something about a "variable trust." Neither he nor I have much of an idea what that is, but it had something to do with helping me to financially be more free to minister, without the constraints of a "job."

Please pray for my brother Merv. He is a true man of God, and extemely sensitive to the Holy Spirit. He has been in full time ministry before, both in England and the US. But it has been some years now that he's been in a kind of "pause" season, and it's very hard for him.

One of the things he has been talking about lately is arranging trips of 20 people or so to go to his home town in England and help people discover things of religious and cultural and historical significance. For example, he grew up a couple of miles from where the Pilgrims came from. And lots of connections with the Wesleys and other religious leaders that are part of our heritage. Between he and his wife they could take care of all the arrangments and details before and during the trip, and Merv would serve as tour guide. The missing piece at this point is the marketing. How to let people know about this so we can get enough people to sign up and make it happen. Maybe a test trip with 10 people, to start out with. If you have any ideas or connections, let me know. Thanks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm for that trip, same with Shaun. Count 2. We'd need to go during school breaks and since we don't celebrate the typical holidays, those would be the perfect time. As far as connections, I'm sorry, I don't have any but I can lend my money and time

Anonymous said...

thanks bro appreciate your clarity of our conversations. Your wisdom is some thing to be cherished.
Wife and I are feeling like something will break soon. As we are just moving forward with what we know and excpect some more 'light' to be shed on our path. Alas we have been here beofre and tend to feel weary of the process in moving forward etc. So like many we pray for strength.
blessings to you and yours.
Merv,

Anonymous said...

WOW, this sounds like fun! How long would the trip last and details like that? I wonder if a couple churches would be all that needed the info to fill up 20 spots. I wonder if a couple Christian travel agents is all you need...like have a couple of them on the first trip and then they get the word out... or word of mouth until you have the routine established and then branch out...just thots.