October 13, 2007

the 5th step


Today I did my 5th step with my sponsor.

If you've never been through the 12 steps, let me back up. The 4th step requires you to "conduct a searching and fearless moral inventory." This involves writing up a page for anyone you have hurt, anyone who has hurt you, and any resentments or fears you have about anyone or anything. Mine was 150 pages. (Give me a break! I'm 47. That's only about 3 per year!! lol)

In any case the 5th step involves "admitting to myself, to God, and to one other human being the exact nature of my wrongs." After 6 1/2 hours, my sponsor had heard it all! (No, he didn't run out of the room screaming!)

Phew... I'm tired. But it's a good kind of tired.

Thanks Chuck!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Doug,
I am thankful for the choices you have made. You keep showing us the "how to" of the journey to become more like Jesus. He loves you so much and keeps using you to encourage many... Congrats for step 5, well done!!!

Doug Doan said...

that's really sweet... thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Doug, That's great, Good Work. I am proud of you, I am praying for the Holy Spirit to touch you and continue to bring out his glory in you for his good. You are such a encouragement thanks for all you do. Sandra

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful to know I am being counseled by someone willing to walk a deep path of discovery himself. Keep this up and you are going to be an incredible 50 year old. With respect...Princess Christine

Doug Doan said...

Thanks Sandra. It is humbling to know that God is using me to make a real difference in people's lives! :)

Doug Doan said...

thanks princess christine!! yeah, i would never ask anyone to do something that i wasn't willing to do myself. Tempting though... l0l

Unknown said...

proud of you...... thanks for the living example

Anonymous said...

wow. thats great!

Anonymous said...

Wow Doug, that must have been exhausting and difficult to say the least. I am glad for you that you did. You are an inspiration to us and especially to me. It is more important for me that I know someone who is helping me really believes what he is teaching and follows his own advice.

Thanks for doing that. And Thanks for always helping even when we are hard headed and just don't get it.

Carri

Doug Doan said...

The thing that got most tired were my vocal chords!! lol

yeah, i have no tolerance for those that presume to instruct others, if they aren't taking their own medicine.

I take the model of steve arterburn, as far as revealing his own sins and weaknesses, instead of trying to hide them. It's a great example.