December 8, 2006

staying warm in florida


last winter i decided to challenge myself to go all winter without turning on the heat. I succeeded, except for once when my son who was unaware of my neurosis, turned on the heat in the middle of the night. Oh well...

I'm determined to do it again this year. Last night it got down to 30 outside, maybe lower. I think i heard it was a record low. However, inside i don't think it got below 58, so no problem. I live in a brick apartment building, and they just put in new double-pane windows, so i think i have pretty good insulation.

I find the cold down here different than up north. Mainly because when it is cold here there usually is no wind. What a difference. I can handle 30 if there's no wind. The last winter i was up north i about died because it was below freezing for 6 weeks in a row, and the wind living on the seacoast of new hampshire was at times ferocious, and wet... Brrrrrr.... i get ptsd just thinking about it.

Overall i'm pretty much of a weather wimp. Mainly with warm and humid or cold and windy. Cool i can handle pretty well. I wear shorts almost all year here, even when others are all bundled up. i must look like a tourist.

No comments: